Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Pumpkin-Chai Spice Bread

Here's a batch of bread that makes a delicious breakfast bite, or satisfies as a snack. This recipe is gluten-free and vegan, but can be adjusted to your taste (and tolerance).
In a large bowl, combine:
1 cup organic canned pumpkin
1/2 cup olive oil (I used organic apple sauce)
1/2 cup raw agave nectar
2 tsp vanilla extract
2 eggs (I omitted these and used an extra tsp of baking powder)
1/3 cup apple cider (or orange juice)

In a second bowl, whisk together:
1 1/2 cups gluten-free flour
1 tsp baking soda
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp cardamom
1 tsp ginger
1/2 tsp ground cloves

Add the dry ingredients into your first bowl and mix together. If the batter looks too thin, add an additional tablespoon or two of gluten-free flour. You can make one large loaf, but I made four small loafs. I divided the batter evenly among the loafs, then I added in the extras. For loaf 1, I mixed in dried cranberries and walnuts. For loaf 2, I mixed in carob chips. For loaf 3, I topped with sliced banana. Loaf 4 is the plain pumpkin chai (although there's nothing plain about it!) Bake in a 350 degree oven for 45 minutes.
Before hitting the oven - I mixed in the "extras" and threw a few more on top.
My favorite loaf - with cranberries and walnuts.
The final product - brown on the edges and moist in the middle.
My recipe was inspired by the Gluten-Free Goddess - see more of her recipes here.

Looking for my other sweet treats?
Try this Raw Apple Crisp or check out the "Recipes" link on the right-hand side of the home page.

6 comments:

  1. This looks heavenly! Will save it for future baking adventures. Deelish. Thanks Kate!

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow!! I love anything pumpkin. Thanks for the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pumpkin lovers unite! Here are two other recipes you might like (or, love!)

    Pumpkin Pie (in the raw)
    http://bread-n-chocolate.blogspot.com/2010/10/oh-my-gourd.html

    Granola
    http://bread-n-chocolate.blogspot.com/2010/12/apple-blueberry-granola.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. Whoa this looks so yummylicious!!! I love spices and breads that contain them. :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful pics. My favorite bowls are from Anthropologie. They have great dishes - about the only thing I can afford in that store! ;)

    Bread sounds delicious. I think loaf #2 would be my favorite. I'm a sucker for anything with carob chips.

    ReplyDelete