Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Girls Just Want To Have Fun. And Chocolate.

This spring I've been surrounded by Girl Scout cookies. This is good for Girl Scouts, but bad for me (my food allergies prevent me from tearing into a box - or 20 - of Thin Mints). But why should Girl Scouts have all the fun? After watching my friends finish off yet another sleeve of Samoas, I decided to tag-a-long on the cookie train and make my own raw version.
While the laundry list of ingredients on the cookie box include the suspect sounding 'corn syrup' and 'vegetable oil', my version requires just four natural items: mejdool dates (soaked for about 10 minutes in water), unsweetened shredded coconut, 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract, & dark chocolate.

Toss 6 dates in your food processor (remove pits first). Pulse until smooth. Add 1/2 cup of shredded coconut and 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract. Pulse for a few more turns, until everything is combined. Using your palms, roll the batter into small balls of dough. Place on parchment paper. Use the flat bottom of a glass to press down the balls - this will give them the signature Samoas shape. Then, hollow out the middles - I used a cone shaped wine stopper to get the right size. Place your raw batter in the freezer for 30 minutes. Finally, melt a few blocks of 72% dark chocolate over the stovetop and drizzle it on top of the cookies.
Enjoy straight away or refrigerate until dessert time.
(Ed Note: Er, when isn't it dessert time?)
Ah, the iconic purple box (below). This brings me back to my days as a Brownie, when our entire garage was full of cookies. My super-organized mother was in charge of housing and distributing our troop's entire cookie collection (I'm pretty sure the cars had to be parked outside during cookie week). Fortunately I had the willpower to not sneak into the garage in the middle of the night and tear open every box. Speaking of being a trooper, thanks Mom for always going above and beyond. For one year's Girl Scouts International Night, she slaved over a hot oven, warming up hundreds of fortune cookies in order to gently remove the Chinese slip of paper from each one and insert kid-friendly advice. I'm dazzled by her dedication! What a trooper! Mom, I owe you a batch of these treats.

2 comments:

  1. OMG. I want these. Now. They look so good!


    Johanna
    www.johannavoss.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow. i need to make these! samoas (aka carmel deLites back in the day) were always my favorite! thanks :)

    ReplyDelete