Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Thinking Outside The (Bread) Box

Bored by your brown bag lunch? Here's an apple sandwich that thinks outside the (bread) box. With peanut butter protein and apple crunch, the texture and flavors are filling (and give you your daily dose of fiber). You'll also have fun constructing - and customizing - this treat.
Start with an apple - I love the Pink Lady and Granny Smith varieties. Core the apple, then slice a sandwich 'top' and 'bottom' (about 1/2 half inch thick). Spread with peanut butter and top with raisins. Or, Whole Foods suggests chocolate chips (I never say no to chocolate!) I also tossed in a few handfuls of granola. With my gluten allergy I've tried a LOT of brands, but Kaia Foods is the best. If you're going to pack this for lunch, brush on a bit of lemon juice to keep your apples from browning and wrap them tightly. Bon Appletit!

2 comments:

  1. mmm that's a great idea! I haven't been eating many apples as they're harder to get in spring but I will have to get one for this!

    Thanks so much for sharing! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks like a lot of fun. So creative.

    ReplyDelete