Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Straight from the Crate: Spinach Slaw

April showers bring....May produce? I was a bit skeptical when planting my veggies a few weeks back. Read the original post here. With limited space, I decided to try my hand at a container garden, made from wooden wine crates. After a proud day of planting, the weather turned wild. Rain, thunder & lightning, wind, cold...but the plants were hearty. And my, how they've grown! With the spinach already producing large leaves, here's my first garden recipe of the season - a light, seasonal salad (or 'slaw').
Find the full recipe below.
The spinach leaves are more than 4x the size of the original plants.
Plus, they have great flavor!
Here's a look at all of my plants. Tomatoes are in the crate on the left. The tall plants in back are broccoli - you can see a small head of broccoli just taking shape. It's about 2 inches across...perhaps that will be my next crate recipe (in a few weeks).
The box of mesclun lettuce - growing like weeds!
Straight from the Crate: Spinach Slaw

Combine 2 cups of shredded purple cabbage, 2 cups of shredded white cabbage, 1/2 a sliced yellow pepper, 1/2 a sliced red pepper, 1 cup of spinach, 2 tablespoons sesame seeds, 2 tablespoons canola oil and 4 tablespoons apple cider vinegar. Toss together. Add salt and pepper to taste. Enjoy the tangy taste and crunch!


5 comments:

  1. I'm so glad I found your blog; it's my first visit. You're pics are so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  2. that spinach looks so pretty :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks delicious, thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Spinach salad looks great! Nothing beats fresh spinach or any green for that matter ;) YUM

    Pure2raw Twins

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great idea to use the wine crates! Your garden is so pretty, and it definitely looks like all the plants survived the crazy weather. Love the slaw recipe - thanks for sharing. Summer produce makes me so happy. :)

    ReplyDelete