Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Handmade Holidays: Child's Play

Forget the Elf on the Shelf. How about a dwarf in the hand?
Snow White, Prince Charming, and the 7 Dwarfs Finger Puppets

These felt finger puppets are time intensive (due to the hand stitching), but turn out adorable. I bought felt in an assortment of colors. The stiff felt works best and costs about 30 cents at Michael's with their constant coupons. I cut out the smaller shapes (collars, beards, belts, hats) and attached them using tacky craft glue. Then, I attached a matching piece of felt to the back of their bottoms and hand sewed seams along each side. They're ready-to-wear!
You, Too, Can Tutu
Every little girl wants to be a pretty princess, and these are so (but no sew) easy to make. You can finish this during the duration of one ABC Family's 25 Days of Christmas movies. Start by measuring your little one's waist, then cut your elastic that length. I hand sewed the elastic into a loop (very tightly - this tutu will get a lot of play on my niece). I ordered my tulle spools from Sav-on-Crafts (google it - only $2.88 per spool). The spools are approximately 6 inches wide and 25 yards long. Figure out the length you want the tutu to be (mine is about 10 inches) and cut your strips to twice that length, since they'll be wrapped in half around the elastic. Go ahead and tie on one piece of tulle at a time. I used red and black for a Lady Bug look. It took about 40 strips for me to fill the entire elastic band. To finish, I tied on a few thin black ribbons and attached little lady bug charms at the bottom. Happy dancing!
Not too happy about modeling, Piper was willing to help show off the tutu poof. Perfect.

1 comment:

  1. Oh my goodness! I love how you did the Snow White set! And how dedicated are you to do hand stitched! They turned out beautifully! Thank you so much for sharing the link with me :)

    ReplyDelete